SoulSongs from Saskatchewan

Pets, Dogs, Cats, German Shepherds, Social Justice, Ramblings, Rhetoric, Hearts and Heartbreaks, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Politics, Radio Talk Shows

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Tragic Death's - Three Beautiful German Shepherds


An exhausted Angel with some of her newly born sweet brood

I am preparing my defence for the senseless murder of Arch Angel, aka Mi Amor Vom Bountyful, and her 2 beautiful, exceptionally perfect 5 month old pups, Stan, a pure black male who just prior to his death was already 2 inches taller at his withers than his dad and supernaturally intelligent, and Pinkie, an equally exceptional black and silver female pup, so named because she was the first born, and her poor little nose took a lot a battering before it drew it's first breath...

This has been plaguing me since Sunday morning, June 26, 2005, the day they mysteriously escaped from my house and began their 4 day incarceration, in a kennel in the town shop (that somehow neither the town administrator, nor the mayor, nor virtually every other resident in town knew anything about...) until they were executed at 4:00 PM, Thursay, July 1, 2005. It should also be noted that the vet who performed the executions, (and then froze those beautiful, healthy young bodies until the bylaw officer came and picked them up to bury them in the town dump, which was supposedly the most 'cost effective' solution), had also claimed ignorance about any knowledge of a pound or kennel in town... As did the RCMP, I might add.

Now I freely admit that I am not up on the intricacies of municipal bylaws, but I think I know enough to read one, and get the general drift... The reason that I bring this up is that after the fact, when I discovered (too late to save their lives) what had happened to them, I asked the RCMP to lay charges because there can be no doubt that they KNEW whose dogs they were, but for whatever reason, they chose to deny the owner the right to claim them, despite the fact that Angel was licenced with the town, she was micro-chipped, and she had a very visible tattoo in her left ear...

So, a full description of the events that had taken place was forwarded on to the local constabulatory, investigations were done, and in the end, the Crown Prosecutor was asked for his opinion about laying charges.. His response was that the town had done nothing wrong, there was nothing in the bylaw that said they HAD to notify someone that they had their pets, and so the matter was dropped.

As I said earlier, I am the first to admit that I am no authority on bylaws, but humor me for a minute here... From what I read in that bylaw, it says, and excuse my extreme 'ball-parking' here, but this is my take on it:

---> IF you have an animal that escapes, it is 'running at large';
---> IF your animal is 'running at large', you are guilty of an infraction of the bylaw;
--->IF you are guilty of an infraction of a bylaw, you are to be served a "Notice of Violation" Form "A", which lets you know they have you animal, and what penalty, (i.e. fine, etc.) you have cough up to bail your animal out;
---> So now the ball is your court, pay up, and get them back, or don't;
---> End of story.

Somehow, however, this particular Crown Prosecutor somehow read into that pretty straighforward bylaw that the town could 'decide', or somehow had the right to 'choose' if, or who, they were going to, or not going to tell... Going on his summation of that bylaw, he deemed that the town had done nothing wrong, and therefore their actions (or lack thereof) were perfectly acceptable, and no charges would be forthcoming.

Town policy, I later learned, was to a have a picture of each animal that was registed, and licenced in town. I think the way they procured these pictures was by skulking around town, and catching these lawful animal residents unawares while they carried on with their normal lives..

Now this a matter of speculation, because there does not seem to be any reason for this ommission, but somehow, there WERE NO pictures on file of Angel.. If my opinion means anything, I believe they had no picture of her, because she was never out long enough for them to take a picture of her.

As anyone who has owned a German Shepherd knows, these dogs are so utterly devoted and attached to their masters that they are most commonly (and at times, inconveniently) found under or next to their masters feet... Angel was no different, she was always happiest when she had at least a toe nail, or a few wisps of her tail touching her object of loyalty and devotion... That is my best guess why she escaped the camera lens...

So, I am asking you for your opinions. I hope you leave me your comments, and lots of them, because I am REALLY curious about what the common consensus is about this... Please let me know - maybe this can even lead to a lively debate... I hope so..

Until the next time!

SS